Please review the complete assignment instructions.
Week 9: Assignment: Controversy Associated with Dissociative Disorders
Have you ever been driving and realized you don’t remember the last few minutes of driving? Or have you gotten so wrapped up in a book or movie that you lose some awareness of your surroundings? These are examples of common and very mild dissociation, or a disconnect or lack of continuity between thoughts, feelings, actions, and sense of self.
There are three major dissociative disorders defined in the
1. Dissociative identity disorder,
2. dissociative amnesia, and
3. depersonalization-derealization disorder.
Dissociative disorders may be associated with traumatic events in order to help manage difficult memories or experiences. Patients with these types of disorders are likely to also exhibit symptoms of a variety of other dysfunctions, such as depression, alcoholism, or self-harm and may also be more susceptible to personality, sleeping, and eating disorders.
This week, you will analyze issues related to the diagnosis and treatment of dissociative disorders as well as associated legal and ethical considerations.
DSM-5-TR is a diagnostic tool. It has evolved over the decades, as have the classifications and criteria within its pages. It is used not just for diagnosis, however, but also for billing, access to services, and legal cases. Not all practitioners are in agreement with the content and structure of the
DSM-5-TR, and dissociative disorders are one such area. These disorders can be difficult to distinguish and diagnose. There is also controversy in the field over the legitimacy of certain dissociative disorders, such as dissociative identity disorder, which was formerly called multiple personality disorder.
In this Assignment, you will examine the controversy surrounding dissociative disorders. You will also explore clinical, ethical, and legal considerations pertinent to working with patients with these disorders.
· Review this week’s Learning Resources on dissociative disorders. See below required media and links.
· Locate at least four scholarly articles that you can use to support your Assignment.
Instructions – The Assignment (3-4 pages)
· Explain the controversy that surrounds dissociative disorders.
· Explain your professional beliefs about dissociative disorders, supporting your rationale with at least four scholarly references from the literature.
· Explain strategies for maintaining the therapeutic relationship with a client that may present with a dissociative disorder.
· Finally, explain ethical and legal considerations related to dissociative disorders that you need to bring to your practice and why they are important.
· APA 7
· At least four scholarly references