For this assignment, you will write a 1000 word essay that responds to (ALL) the questions and propositions below. This word count should be the cumulative total of the substance of your paper (it does not include title page, headings, citations, or bibliographies).
In your readings over the past couple of weeks, there was much discussion of character, what it is, how it is developed, and how it is tested in real world situations.
This assignment is designed to explore the nature of character and moral commitments. Write an essay that addresses the following questions:
How does character relate to the Kouzes and Posner leadership model and Maxwellâ€™s reflections in chapter 3? In your essay, you will also reflect on Badaraccoâ€™s question, â€œHow flexible is my moral code?â€ How does Badaracco define moral flexibility through his observations of the character, Okonkwo? Is there tension between Badaraccoâ€™s moral flexibility and the integrity of values expressed by Kouzes/Posner and Maxwell in â€œ model the way?â€ Should there be flexibility in oneâ€™s moral code? Biblically defend your response to this question.
- Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature(Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2006), Joseph L. Badaracco, Jr. (ISBN 1591399688)
- Culture Making: Recovering our Creative Calling (Downers Grove: Intervarsity, 2008), Andrew Crouch (ISBN 9780830833948)
- How Christianity Changed the World (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004), Alvin J. Schmidt (ISBN 9780310264491)
- Christian Reflections on the Leadership Challenge (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006), James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner (editors) (9780787983376)
- The Holy Bible (any translation, but not a paraphrase (e.g., New Living Translation)