Step 1: Perform research on the Internet:
Go to the https://www.creditkarma.com/calculators/debtrepayment. Please Note: If you have difficulty accessing this website, Google “Credit Card Repayment Calculator” and follow the directions.
Enter the amounts below in the fields on the site. For the purposes of this exercise, assume the following:
- You have a credit card balance of $500
- You have an APR of 24%
- Your desire is to be debt free in a year
Step 2: Determine the cost of credit:
- How much does the site estimate the minimum payment will be?
- How long will it take you to pay off the amount?
- How much in interest will you pay?
- Scroll down and find the section called “How do I pay off my credit card balance sooner?” What happens if you change the monthly payment to $15? To $40?
Step 3: Discuss the pros and cons of borrowing on credit. In your 250 word paper, list two pros and two cons related to borrowing on credit. Has researching the cost of credit made you rethink any of your own habits? Why or why not?