FIRST GRADER essay writing company is the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click the button below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Analyzing Cultural Relevance in Instruction
In Chapter 12, Wardle (2013) summarizes the important characteristics of a culturally relevant teacher. After reviewing this material, for this assignment you will apply your knowledge of culturally relevant pedagogy as you propose solutions to problems facing a teacher with a very diverse student population. This exercise provides excellent practice over the application of culturally relevant principles in the design of effective instructional solutions. You will need to design such instructional solutions within the Final Project, so it is very important to practice such skills here. Specifically, for this assignment, you will view a brief video taken with a cell phone by a student in a high school social studies class. The video (Bliss, 2013) documents a meltdown Bliss experienced during his World History course at Duncanville High School in Duncanville, Texas. A transcript of the audio is provided in the Instructor Guidance for this week along with other detailed assistance for completing this assignment.
After reviewing the Instructor Guidance for this task, create your assignment to meet the content and written communication expectations below.
- Video Analysis Questions (2 points): Answer the four categories of questions below based on your inferences and ideas about how things could have been improved in the events captured in the cellphone video.
- Description: What is the problem (from Jeff Blissâ€™s perspective as well as from Ms. Phungâ€™s perspective)?
- Diagnosis: How did it get like this? What probably caused it? Who set it up like this? Who benefits? Who loses? What position do you take on this issue?
- Solution: How could a more equitable, culturally relevant approach to the class improve the situation? How might Ms. Phung respond differently to Jeffâ€™s concerns? On a broader scale, recommend specific ways you believe Ms. Phung could provide more equitable learning opportunities for all learners. How might creativity be used more effectively in this social studies class? How should Ms. Phung go about implementing such an approach? What would she need to get started?
- Evaluation: How would you evaluate the success or failure of each proposed solution? One year from now, what would you want to see changed?
- Equity Strategies (2 points): Describe existing equity strategies in the area of instruction, classroom environment, student grouping, and student leadership/recognition that are implemented in the classroom and additional ways in which the teacher can help meet all student needs.
- Cultural Relevance Strategies (2 points): Describe evidence of any culturally relevant pedagogy in action in the cellphone video and additional strategies that might help improve the overall efficacy of the learning experience. Such strategies might include at least one of the following nine areas: Use one of the areas with the star beside it if possible please.
- Maximizing academic success through relevant instructional experiences
- Addressing cultural competence through reinforcing studentsâ€™ cultural integrity
- Involving students in the construction of knowledge *
- Building on studentsâ€™ interests and linguistic resources *
- Tapping home and community resources
- Understanding studentsâ€™ cultural knowledge *
- Using interactive and constructivist teaching strategies *
- Examining the curriculum from multiple perspectives
- Promoting critical consciousness through opportunities to challenge predominant elements of the studentsâ€™ social norms
Written Communication Expectations
- Page Requirement (.5 points): Submit three to five pages, not including the title and reference pages.
- APA Formatting (.5 points): Format your paper according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Syntax and Mechanics (.5 points): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (.5 points): Reference the cellphone video and Wardle (2013) textbook. All sources on the references page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of the assignment.
Wardle, F. (2013). Human relationships and learning in the multicultural environment. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
Bliss, J. (2013, May 8). Student “Jeff Bliss” mad at teacher at Duncanville high [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflIOklflrg