Rudy is a qualified civil engineer who works for the Public Roads Department as an employee. He has a room set up as an office in his home to enable him to do some work there in the evenings. The room is fully fitted out with the normal office equipment, including a computer and printer. In the year ended 30 June 2018 she incurred the following expenses:
- Home office share of interest on home loan $1,000.
- Home office share of council rates on home $200.
- Home office share of insurance on home (building only) $80.
- Home office share of electricity $200.
- Home office share of heating and cooling costs $200.
- Depreciation on office equipment used 100% for income-earning purposes $600.
What amounts can Rudy claim as home office expenses for the year ended 30 June 2018? Explain your answer and where relevant provide legislative and/ or case authority.