Read this article from The Conversation (
Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.regarding a recent case of copyright infringement in the music industry. Listen to the recordings yourself and disregarding what the trial court judge and jury said, explain in a 500+ word paper whether or not you think the songs are similar enough for the family of Marvin Gaye to claim copyright infringement. You may also wish to read “Blurred Lines,” an article that appeared in Forbes Magazine before writing your paper.
Your paper should include a paragraph on each of the following topics and in the following order:
- Introduction (Introducing the topic and the article(s) you have read before preparing the paper.
- The law of copyright infringement. Is the “feel” of the music protected by copyright law?
- The length of copyright protection. How long does it last? Is this a fair amount of time? Should creative works be protected for a shorter/longer period of time?
- The purposes of copyright law. Do you agree with what the article says about it? Can you think of how it might discourage new artists?
- Conclusion – Summarize the result of this case and give an evaluation of the effect copyright decisions like this will have on the music industry.
Short paper assignments should be a minimum of 500 words long. In your paper, answer all of the questions in the prompt but do not use a question/answer format. When you are asked to read an article from an outside source you should specifically mention or quote something from that article at least twice in your paper. Any reference to or use of outside sources should noted (cited) either in the paper or at the bottom of the page.