Please see attachment.
Presentation on Mental Health Disorders
Disorders that counselors and teachers will face while attempting to educate students have been introduced throughout this course. As school counselors observe students, they may recognize characteristics impacting the academic process and need to refer students for a diagnosis. Sometimes educators are unaware of what the students are dealing with. School counselors are the experts and the authority regarding mental health disorders. As a school counselor, you may be asked to present topics on these disorders for a professional development event during a faculty meeting to better acquaint educators with how to recognize and support students struggling with these challenges. As you complete this assignment, design this as something you will use in the future at your site. Your presentation can also be used as a study tool for when you prepare for national counseling exams for licensure.
These are the disorders to be addressed for this assignment as covered in your Parritz and Troy text:
· Disorders of early childhood.
· Intellectual developmental disorder and learning disorders.
· Autism spectrum disorder.
· Maltreatment and trauma and stressor-related disorders.
· Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
· Anxiety disorder.
· Obsessive-compulsive disorder and somatic symptom disorders.
· Depressive disorders, bipolar disorders, and suicidality.
· Eating disorders.
· Substance-related disorders.
· Transition to adult disorders.
· Oppositional defiant disorder.
· Conduct disorder.
This assignment should be ongoing throughout the quarter, as you decide which of the disorders covered in this course to feature in your culminating project consisting of a PowerPoint presentation. The project should provide educators—that is, noncounselors—with an overview of the disorder, its characteristics, symptoms, diagnostic assessments and criteria, and effective evidence-based interventions to respond to or treat the disorder, including common pharmacological treatments. Make sure to include any specifics necessary to address diverse populations.
To complete your culminating course project, incorporate the following:
· Include information regarding the selected disorder:
. Definition of
disorder according to the
. Risk factors, difficulties, and challenges.
. Gender, ethnicity, and age.
. Comorbid or coexisting disorders.
. Description over a lifespan.
· Assessments used to diagnose.
· Interventions in counseling and school.
· Medications commonly prescribed for the disorder, their efficacy, and their potential side effects.
· Other (such as future trends).
· Articulate the presenting problem by noting characteristics, risk factors, and warning signs of students at risk for mental health and behavioral disorders, using skills to critically examine the connections between social, familial, emotional, behavior problems, and academic achievement while considering biological, neurological, physiological, systemic, and environmental factors that affect human development, functioning, and behavior for the disorder.
· Discuss theories and etiology of the disorder.
· Note the impact of crises, disasters, substance abuse, or trauma on diverse individuals for the disorder.
· Evaluate the use of assessments for diagnostic and intervention planning purposes for the disorder.
· Summarize developmentally relevant evidence-based counseling strategies and techniques for prevention and intervention plans with ethical and culturally relevant strategies for promoting resilience and optimum development and wellness across the lifespan for the disorder.
· Outline common medications that may be used for treatment and any effects on learning, behavior, and mood in children and adolescents for the disorder.
· Be as creative as you like, keeping in mind audience appeal and avoiding unnecessarily wordy slides. Include presenter’s notes. Remember to communicate in a manner that is scholarly and consistent with expectations of an effective professional school counselor adhering to APA formatting. This may be presented at state or national organizations as well.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
· Length: 10–15 slides for the disorder, include an introductory slide and an overall slide at the end for reference list.
· References: A minimum of two references for the disorder.