Pick two specific theories (Strain Theory and Social Control Theory) and use these theories to explain a real-world criminal event or activity.
The issues to be explained by the theories are as follows:
1. Why the specific criminal event or activity that you chose occurred,
2. How each theory can be used to predict and prevent the likelihood of a similar crime occurring in the future, both nationally and globally, and
3. Suggestions that each theory would probably give on how to process this offender (or group of offenders) through the criminal justice system (i.e., death penalty, life sentence, community supervision, treatment orientation or punitive orientation, and so on).
Should have a Cover Page and an Abstract at the beginning, and a References Page at the end. You should have at least 20 references beyond the course text. The Cover Page, Abstract, and Reference Page should all be in APA format. In addition, all internal citation of outside sources plus the listing of all references should also adhere to APA format. All text pages should be double-spaced and in 12 point font.
Should consist of an Introduction, a Main Body, and a Conclusion. The Introduction Section should be 3–5 pages. The Main Body should consist of four specific sections. The first section should be entitled “Criminal Event,” which will explain the details of the specific criminal event. The second section, “Etiology,” will explain the two theories chosen to explain the criminal behavior, including the history and current state of each theory. The third section should be entitled “Prediction and Prevention,” which will apply the two theories to the criminal event, demonstrating how each theory explains that crime. Lastly, the fourth section should be entitled “Recommended Criminal Justice Responses,” which discusses the policies, programs, and laws created to address this type of criminality in the United States. Each of these sections should be from 3–5 pages in length. This should then be followed by the Conclusion section of roughly 2–3 pages that clearly refines the connection between your chosen theories and your chosen criminal event or criminal activity.
MUST BE 16-20 pages
- Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Vol. 1, No. 5, 2015, pp. 528-539 http://www.aiscience.org/journal/jssh ISSN: 2381-7763 (Print); ISSN: 2381-7771 (Online)
- 6th edition criminological theory: context and consequences by J. Robert Lilly, Francis T. Cullen, & Richard A. Ball