- Current United Nations models of global population growth and food production lead to the prediction that:
the problem of limited natural resources will be resolved to the point where these resources will be produced in abundance.
the upward trend of global warming will be reduced by eliminating greenhouse gases.
a cooling trend of the oceans will make their ecosystems productive for the world’s fishing industries again.
an increase in the general GDP of the world’s states will place additional pressure on the demand for natural resources.
- One reason people do not get enough to eat in a country is because:
Its infrastructure system is in excellent condition.
There is little or no civil strife among its people.
Some crops are often grown for export, leaving little to consume internally.
The government does not discriminate in food allocation based on tribe or ethnicity.
- We can expect all of these in the future, except:
a sustained increase in the prices of commodities.
a growth in global greenhouse gas emissions.
a decrease in the use of coal as an energy source.
a long-term decline of soil quality.
- If we need to grow 50 percent more food to supply the Earth’s population increase by 2030, what is the most likely result?
New sources of freshwater will be discovered.
The current supply of freshwater will be increased.
The increased use of chemical fertilizers will continue to contaminate freshwater.
There will be increased demand for freshwater for irrigation purposes.
a and b.
c and d
- Which part of the world has seen the most significant decrease in the number of people living in extreme poverty since 1981? Refer to the charts in Figure 2.2 (pg 54 of your textbook).
East Asia and Pacific
Middle East and North Africa
- Which of the following factors contributes most to soil erosion?
- At the present rate of economic growth in the developed world, what can we expect for the future?
A decrease in the availability of freshwater will make irrigation more limited.
Major grain-producing areas will find new sources of freshwater for irrigation.
Less fossil fuels will be used because of the increase of nuclear energy.
New sources of food and energy production will make climate change less of an issue.
- With respect to farming trends in the developing world, which of the following is true?
The inadequate drainage of water may lead to the loss of arable land.
Irrigations systems are leading to an increase of arable land.
Soil is becoming more toxic, harming farmland.
Crop rotation to replenish nutrients is becoming less necessary.
- Based on Figure 3.2 in your textbook, which of the following countries have a relatively high dependency on agricultural output for their Gross Domestic Product (GDP)?
United States, Brazil, and Australia
Canada, Russia, and France
India, Egypt, and Vietnam
Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and Libya
- The market-driven approach to economics holds that:
the collective ownership of the means of production will generate the most output
workers specializing on making one product instead of many will lead to the destruction of the entire economic system
government must take a central role in the planning, production and distribution of all goods
open trade is imperative to the survival of a market-driven econom