As a doctoral practitioner, you will often be asked to provide others with a concise overview of your dissertation study. To effectively accomplish this, you must possess the skills necessary to (a) clearly present your dissertation topic; (b) convey your interest in the topic; (c) outline the methods used; and (d) summarize your findings in a manner that can be understood by anyone. These requests can happen anywhere–from sitting in an airport to standing in line at a coffee shop. Maintaining a brief, polished summation of your dissertation study is essential for making a lasting impression.
For this assignment you will expand upon the elevator pitch you developed in DOC/723 to generate a more robust, 2 minute, elevator speech. You will deliver your elevator speech to a small group of your classmates for feedback and also submit your written speech for instructor grading and feedback.
Compose a written elevator speech that effectively summarizes your dissertation study. Your elevator speech should be written for a specific audience in your field and address the following:
- Your topic;
- The problem driving the research;
- Why the problem is interesting for the field;
- Why the study needs to be done;
- The method and design being used to solve the problem (e.g., Qualitative, Quantitative, Mixed followed by the design);
- The primary skills you have developed from conducting the research (e.g., survey sampling, interviewing, or specific data analysis skills);
- The secondary or soft skills you have developed from conducting the research (e.g., unique approach to problem solving, ability to effectively receive critical feedback, or project management); and
- One important thing you have discovered to date regarding your study (perhaps as the hook to get you started, or it could be the way to close your presentation).
Consider the feedback you received during your DOC/723 elevator pitch as you develop your speech.
Review the attached resource and grading rubric prior to completing this assignment.
Tip: For most individuals, a 3-minute elevator speech is no more than 100-250 words, while speaking at a normal rate.
Note: You will further refine your elevator speech in DOC/741. Therefore, it is imperative that you save all documents and recordings related to this assignment for future reference.