NEED HELP INSTRUCTIONS AND BOOK IS ATTACHED PLEASE READ
Back in 2011, concert pianist, Yuja Wang (age 25) drew considerable attention when she came out onto the stage at the Hollywood Bowl in a very short red dress, prompting all sorts of buzz in the classical music news the next day. Some argued her dress was too provocative for classical music, and others argued that the complaining critics are too conservative. It’s commonplace for popular music acts to wear “sexy” outfits without much complaints. Music is a SOUND focused performing art.
QUESTION: How important is the visual aspect to music? Why do we fork out the money to see our favorite artists in concert instead of staying home and listening to them on our devices?
· Reply to the prompt
100 words minimum
Purpose: The intention behind this assignment is to help you slow down and engage with the material in
Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts and to think deeply about the history.
The book is attached
Skills: This assignment will help you to gain or improve upon the following skills, which are essential for your success in this course: Close reading, Analysis, Effective use of primary sources, Effective use of secondary sources, Academic Writing, and Critical thinking.
Reading Journal Task (25 points
: Maintain a reading journal to log your thoughts and reactions as you read
Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts
. Use your reading journal to keep track of the things that you found most important in these chapters and include your sense of why they seemed so important as you were reading. Also, write down the things that were surprising to you or that you really want to make sure you remember. Pay careful attention to the images since they are an important part of a graphic history. You must write an entry for each chapter. Some entries will be longer than others, but you need to write something for each chapter. Your journal should make it clear that you read all of the chapters! (These entries will be the foundation for the reflection, so keep that in mind as you read.)
Reflection Task (25 points): Once you complete the reading journal, write
a 300 – 500 word reflection paper that addresses the following question.
· In her book, Rebecca Hall takes the unusual approach of writing herself into the story she is telling. How did this impact your understanding of this history? To answer this question you must use direct evidence from the book and you must show me what you learned. This is not just a reflection discussing whether or not you liked the book, but a thoughtful reflection upon the author’s choices and your own learning process.
Criteria for Success: While there are many different ways to approach this prompt, there are certain things that I am looking for in your journals and the reflection.
1. Journal entries reflect deep thought about the material, showing analysis and understanding.
2. Journal entries show that all of the material has been read.
3. For your reflection I expect that you will use complete sentences with proper grammar. This is an essay and a formal assignment, so you want to take the time to turn in a polished finished product. Proofread carefully AND use your spell checker.
4. I expect that you will use evidence from
Wake, lectures, and other readings or podcasts.
5. That evidence MUST be properly cited.
6. I expect you to show me you’re thinking. I have read this book and thought about it deeply for a long time, but I don’t know what you are thinking. I don’t know how you are processing the information. Give me a little insight into your intellectual world. You can absolutely make your entries personal and in the first person.