Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: All chapters
- Lecture (PDF): Presentation (Luthans 10e) â€“ All chapters (in Course Documents)
Over the last several weeks, you have been preparing a feasibility study for the Vice President of Human Resources (instructor) and the Board of Directors concerning what the 3M Corporation â€“ Asia Pacific Division will need to know to manage employment relations as effectively as possible for a new manufacturing facility in (your chosen country) to build and assemble Medical-Surgical devices for sale in the Latin America market. This week you will create a presentation of your study.
For this presentation, you will summarize 2-3 main points for each of the categories of your study. You may choose to use PowerPoint or another presentation tool for your presentation.
Section 1. Introduction and Country Selection
- Identify the name of the country you will research for the ESA assignment.
- Explain your selection by listing at least 3 reasons why you are choosing this country.
Section 2. General Characteristics
- Describe the location, size, population, principle industries, language, religion, literacy, and type of government of your country.
Section 3. Economic Conditions
- Discuss the standard of living (What do the people own? How does the standard of living compare to the U.S.? Ideally, this should be measured in purchasing power, accounting for the difference in currency and cost of living.)
- Identify the income distribution (Proportion of upper, middle, and lower classes?)
- Explain the wage levels (Compared to U.S.? Compared to rest of world?)
- Explain the employment levels (Unemployment rate? Participation rate of women, minorities, youth?)
- Describe how wages are determined (Supply and demand? Government policy? Collective bargaining?)
- Examine employer-provided benefits.
- Discuss working conditions (Hygiene and safety?)
- Discuss skills available (Shortages in particular areas?)
Section 4: Organizational Topics and Human Resource Management Analysis
1. Organizational Topics, discuss the following:
- Performance evaluation and discipline
- Recruitment and training
- Dispute resolution
- Grievances over rules application
- Impasses resulting from disputes establishing wages, hours and working conditions
- Employee participation in decision-making
2. Human Resource Management Analysis of (your countryâ€™s name), discuss the following:
- Potential solutions
Section 5: Governmental
- Describe the extent of government intervention in private employment.
- Explain the existence and impact of labor laws.
Section 6: Personal
- Explain the ideology, ethics, and values of people (individualistic or group-oriented, role of religion in employment, reaction to authority and organizational needs)
- Discuss employee motivation (How “hard working” are employees? What motivates their performance?)
Section 7: Conclusion
- Summarize your key findings and include a recommendation as to whether to locate or not locate in your chosen country.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Maximum of 15 slides, not including title slide or references slide.
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References slide