FIRST GRADER essay writing company is the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click the button below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
NOTE: The word â€œpolicingâ€ here has nothing to do with traditional law enforcement agencies. It is more about trying to manage parts of the globeâ€”usually by use of military force or the threat of it. The aim of this management may be to maintain stability, remove threats of â€œrogueâ€ forces or terrorists or weapons, prevent the expansion of autocratic rule, protect a fledgling democracy, etc.
Choose one of these position statements (make it the last sentence of your introductory paragraph):
THESIS STATEMENT 1. By examples from different decades since 1950, it is clear that the international policing role and strategy of the United States was once essential, but should now be discarded as ineffective and counterproductive.
THESIS STATEMENT 2. By examples from different decades since 1950, it is clear that the international policing role and strategy of the United States during the Cold War has become even more necessary in this period of terrorism and instability.
- Plan to make that thesis statement the last sentence in your introductory paragraph. The general subject is Americaâ€™s international â€œpolicingâ€ role as a superpower for the last 70-plus years. You may moderate the wording slightly to fit more precisely the position you wish to take. This is NOT a simple statement of a topic; it is a statement of a position you are taking about that topic. p.s.â€”Valid arguments and â€œAâ€ papers can be made with either thesis. So, you choose the one you think is the stronger position.
In your paper, use specific examplesâ€”two from the Cold War years (1950-1991) and two from the past three decades (since 1991). After giving general consideration to your readings and your research, select one of the positions above as your positionâ€”your thesis. (Sometimes after doing more thorough research, you might choose the reverse position. This happens with critical thinking and inquiry. Your final paper might end up taking a different position than you originally envisioned.) Organize your paper as follows, handling these issues with this FOUR-PART organization:
- Part Oneâ€”one paragraph. INTRODUCTION AND THESIS STATEMENT. The position you choose will be the thesis statement in your opening paragraph; make it the last sentence of the paragraph.
- Part Twoâ€”two paragraphs normally. FOUR EXAMPLES. To support your thesis, use four specific examples, two from the Cold War years (1950-1991) and two for the recent decades (1991-the present). The examples should be specific and clearly support your thesis. In these paragraphs one generally must have in-text citations to support your specific examples and to show where the information was found. Spread out the examplesâ€”different decades. Make the examples SPECIFIC. The FORMAT SAMPLE paper can also help on this part.
- Part Threeâ€”one paragraph normally. DEALING WITH THE OPPOSING VIEW. Identify the opposing view and explain why the opposing view is weak in comparison to yours. No new research needed; just one paragraph of critical thinking suggesting why your thesis/position is stronger than a different view. Approach it this way: You adopted a thesis statement. The opposing view is the thesis statement you did NOT adopt. You might start this paragraph by saying â€œSome may disagree with my thesis and argue that ——- .â€ THENâ€”you spend 3 or 4 sentences giving a reasoned argument why your thesis is stronger than the opposing view.
- Part Fourâ€”one paragraph: LEGACY TODAY AND CONCLUSION: Consider your life today: In what way does the history you have shown shape or impact issues in your workplace or desired profession? This might be unclear at first since it is foreign policy. But, super-power status does inevitably provide advantages in a global economy.) This might be easy if you work in cyber security, criminal justice, IT, etc. You can consider the legal impact of terrorism on justice system, privacy issues, etc. Even a business must now plan accordingly. Every profession now must have security safeguards, plan what to do with data, etc. A few comments on these things for your professionâ€”and some comments on how this impacts our lives in general
Length: The paper should be 500-to-750 words in length.
Research and References: You must use a MINIMUM of four quality academic sources; the Schultz textbook must be one of them. The other three may be from the list below or from other quality sources you find in the universityâ€™s online library. (Sticking with the list is a safe strategy; using other quality sources from the universityâ€™s online library is permitted.) This is guided research, not Googling.
Source list for Assignment 3: Some sources are â€œprimaryâ€ sources from the time period being studied. Some sources below can be accessed via direct link or through the primary sources links on Blackboard. Each week has a different list of primary sources. For others, they are accessible through the permalink to the source in our online library: Sources below having libdatab.strayer.edu as part of the URL have a permalink to that source in our universityâ€™s online library. (The link takes you to the library log-in; you then log in, and then the source appears for you right away). Each source below is shown in SWS form, so if you use it, you may easily copy the entire entry onto your paperâ€™s sources list. (On a paper, never list an item as URL only.)
SWS Form for the textbook:
Kevin M. Schultz. 2018. HIST: Volume 2: U.S. History since 1865. 5th ed.
Choose sources relevant to the topic and position you are taking:
G. H. W. Bush. March 6, 1991. Address before a Joint Session of the Congress on the Cessation of the Persian Gulf Conflict. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/bushnwo.html
S. Chace. Summer, 2015. The Cuban Missile Crisis: Leadership as Disturbance, Informed by History. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=110092272&site=eds-live&scope=site
J. F. Dulles. Jan. 2, 1954. Secretary Dullesâ€™ Strategy of Massive Retaliation. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/dulles.html
M. Klare. July 15, 2002. Endless Military Superiority. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=6926412&site=eds-live&scope=site
T. McCrisken. April/May, 2013. Obamaâ€™s Drone War. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=86689166&site=eds-live&scope=site
C. Paul. 2008. Marines on the Beach: The Politics of U.S. Military Intervention Decision Making. eBook. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=275009&site=eds-live&scope=site
C. Powell. Feb. 6, 2003. Transcript of Powellâ€™s UN Presentation. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/05/sprj.irq.powell.transcript/
R. Reagan. March, 1983. Remarks at the Annual Convention of the National Association of Evangelicals. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/evilemp.html
Kevin M. Schultz. 2018. HIST: Volume 2: U.S. History since 1865. 5th ed.
S. M. Tarzi. Sept. 2014. The Folly of a Grand Strategy of Coercive Global Primacy: A Fresh Perspective on the Post-9/11 Bush Doctrine. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=98323177&site=eds-live&scope=site
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than some other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed,
double spaced between lines[single-spaced for ecree], using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; [font flexibility and margin flexibility with ecree.]; citations and references must follow SWS format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and[Title page and name info not needed for ecree. You might make up a titleâ€”put it right at start of first paragraphâ€”as part of first paragraph.] The Sources page is not included in the required assignment length.