Health and Globalization
Read the following issue brief on health and globalization:https://my.uopeople.edu/pluginfile.php/646973/mod_book/chapter/221904/glob101healthandglob.pdf
Here is a summary of the brief:Infectious diseases affected by globalization:
- Increased global travel
- Increased trade in goods
- Food-borne illnesses
- Climate change
- Other environmental concerns
- Microbial drug resistance
- Breakdowns in public health systems
The global public health system: International public health officials believe we need improvements in:
- Surveillance of new diseases and spread of current ones
- Improved sanitation and living conditions
- Price of drugs
Genetically Modified Organisms – very controversial practice
- Highly beneficial: Increased yield and hardiness
- Highly dangerous: Tinkering with nature
- Share your thoughts and ideas on this week’s discussion forum prompts in a couple of paragraphs.
- Be sure to cite any resources that you use in APA format. Direct quotes should not be used in discussions.
In this week’s readings, you read about global diseases, including:
As of the year 2017, the UN estimates that the global human population will reach 9.8 billion by 2050 (more on these statistics here: https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/population/world-population-prospects-2017.html). After reading what you have this week about global diseases, tell the class what you feel will happen in terms of emergence and the spread of these global diseases. What can be done to prevent global diseases like these? If the spread of them is inevitable, how can they safely be contained?
GMO Crops on the African Continent
After reading through the following article:
Deressa, T., Pugliese, J., Kimenyi, M.S. (2014). Genetically Engineered Crops: Key to Climate Adaptation and Food Security in Africa. Brookings Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/africa-in-focus/2014/09/04/genetically-engineered-crops-key-to-climate-adaptation-and-food-security-in-africa/
Choose a side, either for or against GMO in Africa.
- List the reasons why and how GMO would benefit the African continent.
- Explain how the possible negative impacts of GMO, could be turned into a positive (if any).
- Describe one country in Africa that you think would most benefit from harvesting GMO products.
- List the reasons why and how GMO would weaken the African continent.
- Explain how the possible positive impacts of GMO, could quickly turn into a negative impact (if any).
- Describe one country in Africa that you think would least benefit from harvesting GMO products.
Remember to choose only one position, either for or against.
Please make sure your assignment is double-spaced using Times New Roman, 12-point font, and 1” margins. Be sure to cite any references in APA Format.
Each paper will be assessed on the following:
- All questions are answered
- Strong examples, valid points, and ideas on the topic
- At least two additional resources cited in APA format
- 2-3 pages in length
- Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
Mobile devices, such as tablets, smartphones, and cell phones have taken on new responsibilities in our life, and are used more often in our day-to-day lives.
Read this short report How Mobile Devices are Transforming Healthcare (https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/22-mobile-health-west.pdf, and consider the following questions:
- In what ways have mobile devices reshaped the healthcare industry?
- What finding, from the report, was most significant, in your opinion? Why do you feel this way?
- How is technology influencing health care in your region?
- What type of technology would greatly assist the healthcare in your neighborhood?
The journal entry should be about a page in length. If applicable, be sure to cite any resources you use to support your learning journal.
West, D. (2012). How Mobile Devices are Transforming Healthcare. Issues in Technology Innovation, 18. Brookings Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/22-mobile-health-west.pdf