https://firstgrader.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/logo-300x75.png 0 0 Will Smith https://firstgrader.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/logo-300x75.png Will Smith2020-12-01 20:10:412020-12-01 20:10:59framing Asian stereotypes
Please help me with these questions
In this class we are framing Asian stereotypes through the concept of Orientalism.
- Before this class, what was your opinion regarding the term “Oriental?”
- What connotations does the term have for you? That is, when you see or hear the term being used, what do you think?
- Consider the 6 faces of the Oriental, as discussed in the assigned reading. Please discuss a specific Asian character you’ve seen that can be characterized by one of the specific “faces”
- Pollutant – An Oriental’s presence “pollutes” society
- Coolie – An Oriental’s work ethic is dehumanied
- Deviant – An Oriental’s culture is viewed as abnormal
- Yellow Peril – Orientals intend to take over society
- Model Minority – Quiet, industrious Orientals are a model for other minority groups.
- Gook – During war, Orientals are untrustworthy and can kill without the need of fancy weaponry.