Effective listeners do their best to avoid these habits:
- Calling the subject uninteresting
- Criticizing the speaker and/or delivery
- Getting overstimulated
- Listening only for facts (bottom line)
- Not taking notes or outlining everything
- Faking attention
- Tolerating or creating distractions
- Tuning out difficult material
- Letting emotional words or ideas block the message or get us off track
What are the primary causes of your listening challenges?
What can you do to be a more empathic listener? A more attentive listener? A better active listener?