Write a paper of approximately 1,125 words that outlines, based upon materials in this course, the areas of interpersonal communication and conflict resolution that show cross-cultural competence for one team and areas of improvement for the other team.
- Read the scenarios below and complete the prompt.
- Scenario 1: The team consistently fails to meet deadlines and presents sub-quality work. You arrive at 9:55 a.m. one morning and notice that only four of the six members are present. The remaining two arrive at 10:00 a.m.
You observe the following behaviors: They have named a leader for the team, but it appears that this leader does not take charge of the meetings. When asked direct questions, the team leader looks at the group and asks the team to give their opinions. The entire team weighs in on the question, but a solution or an action plan is not identified and adopted. During the meetings, team members periodically check their smartphones. Team members are observed having conversations with one another while the leader is talking. At times, several people are talking at once.
After an hour-and-a-half-long discussion, the group asks for volunteers to complete tasks. There are a couple of half-hearted volunteers and everybody agrees they should complete the tasks. The volunteers attempt to explain what assistance they will need from the other members of the team. At this point in the meeting, people are packing up their materials and two people have already left. No timelines or action items are given.
- Scenario 2: In contrast to the first team, the second team consistently meets deadlines. As the supervisor, you arrange to sit in on a team meeting that is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. You arrived promptly at 9:55 a.m. and the remaining six people filter into the room, with the last person arriving at 10:00 a.m. The designated team leader shows up at 10:00 a.m. and presents an agenda to the group. The team leader seems to be pleased with the prompt arrival of all team members and begins the meeting by making eye contact with all members and stating, “Thank you all for making it to our meeting this morning. I really appreciate your attention to time, and will respect your time as well by adjourning our meeting by 10:50 a.m. to allow you all to get to subsequent meetings and tasks.”
The team leader discusses the agenda points and notes that 10 minutes have been built into the meeting for a Q & A session at the end. The team leader proceeds to delegate work and timelines to each team member, while pausing to occasionally to check for understanding. You notice team members making notes during the discussion and asking clarifying questions. At various points, team members attempt to introduce some concerns about the timeline, and the team leader jots down a quick note and reminds them that there will be time at the end for questions.
After reviewing the basic information, the team leader asks if there are any questions and takes time to answer them. After answering questions, the team leader looks at her watch and states, “It is 10:50 a.m. If anyone needs to leave for another meeting or work tasks, please feel free to do so. I am available a little while longer to answer any questions you still have. Don’t forget, as you look at the upcoming schedule and projects, please contact me with any questions. I’m here to help all of us succeed.” As the team begins to leave, you hear different team members talking about their new project and deadlines.
- Drawing upon the principles and effects of social influence, conformity, social interaction, and social perception on personal ethics and behaviors of leaders, prepare a written assessment of both teams’ strengths and weaknesses, and devise an action plan for both teams that will help them improve their communication skills.
- Format your paper using West Writing Style Handbook guidelines.
- Include a minimum of four sources, which may consist of readings from the University Library, your text, and other selections.