SPC 3230 Context, Story, Display Paper
For this paper, you will need to rely extensively on your text. I suggest you read it carefully. For further insight, you can look into the following authors and their respective contributions to the study of rhetoric (as highlighted in the chapter):
•Kenneth Burke……………… Rhetoric as Symbolic Action •Lloyd Bitzer………………………… Rhetoric as Situational •Mikhail Bakhtin and Wayne Booth…. Rhetoric as Narration
•Carole Blair and Lester Olson………… Rhetoric as Display
Choose a narrative:
•Short story •Play
Recalling the functions of rhetoric, discuss how rhetoric functions in the narrative. Here are
some questions you may want to consider in your analysis:
•Did the creator (i.e. author) of the narrative have an intent other than to entertain?
•Did the choice of narrative “type” (i.e. a poem vs. a movie) play a role in the function of
rhetoric in the narrative?
•Is the narrative used to “bring together individuals separated from one another by alienation
and competition” (p. 210)?
•Does Burke’s concept of identification play a role?
•Is there extensive use of symbolism in the narrative?
•Can the narrative be analyzed in terms of Burke’s dramatistic pentad?
•Is there form (i.e. syllogistic, qualitative, conventional) in the narrative?
•How did the situation (per Bitzer) play a role in the rhetoric of the narrative? Consider
exigence, audience, contstraints, response.
•What role does language (per Bakhtin) play in the rhetoric of the narrative?
•Is the creator’s (i.e. author’s) voice (per Bakhtin and Booth) evident in the narrative?
•What role do images (“The Rhetoric of Display”) have in the rhetoric of the narrative?
Not that these questions are not meant to be answered in your paper. They are rhetorical!…meant to make you think on the topic.
Please be sure to draw on direct examples from the narrative in support of your points.
Your essay must be 4-5 pages of text, using the following format guidelines:
•12-point type size •Double line spacing •One-inch margins
If you use any secondary sources for your essay, they must be documented using correct in-text citations and a properly formatted APA References or MLA Works Cited list. Submit this paper to Turnitin.com Dropbox link within blackboard. You will be graded on content and how well you understand the course material, reasoning and how well you synthesize material, as well as grammar and mechanics.
**TURNITIN.COM and Grademark
- • Review the detailed Turnitin instructions on how to submit your assignments and how to review the Grademark comments (feedback) from your professor.
- • All written assignments must be submitted to Turnitin Dropboxes by the posted deadline. Assignments submitted by any other means will not be accepted.
- • Turnitin drop boxes will be available within the Assignment Dropbox link off the course tools menu on the left hand side of the page within Blackboard.
- • Within one week after the assignment’s deadline has passed, you will receive written feedback on your assignment. The written comments on your assignment are accessible using the GradeMark function within your assignment submission.
- • Late Submissions must be uploaded in the appropriately labeled “Late Drop Box” by the posted “Late Assignment Deadline”. Late submissions are only eligible for a maximum of 50% of the assignments original point value.