describing the differing approaches of nursing leaders and managers to issues in practice. To complete this assignment, do the following:
In this assignment, you will be writing a 1,000-1,250 word paper describing the differing approaches of nursing leaders and managers to issues in practice. To complete this assignment, do the following:
1. Select an issue from the following list: bullying, unit closures and restructuring, floating, nurse turnover, nurse staffing ratios, use of contract employees (i.e., registry and travel nurses), or magnet designation.
2. Describe the selected issue. Discuss how it impacts quality of care and patient safety in the setting in which it occurs.
3. Discuss how professional standards of practice should be demonstrated in this situation to help rectify the issue or maintain professional conduct.
4. Explain the differing roles of nursing leaders and nursing managers in this instance and discuss the different approaches they take to address the selected issue and promote patient safety and quality care. Support your rationale by using the theories, principles, skills, and roles of the leader versus manager described in your readings.
5. Discuss what additional aspects managers and leaders would need to initiate in order to ensure professionalism throughout diverse health care settings while addressing the selected issue.
6. Describe a leadership style that would best address the chosen issue. Explain why this style could be successful in this setting.
Use at least three peer-reviewed journal articles other than those presented in your text or provided in the course.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
A. clear description of the issue is presented. How the issue impacts quality of care and patient safety is detailed and accurate.
B. A through discussion of how professional standards of practice should be demonstrated in this situation to help rectify the issue or maintain professional conduct is presented. An understanding of the importance of professional standards of practice in resolving issues and maintaining professional conduct is demonstrated. Strong rationale supports discussion.
C. A detailed explanation of the differing roles and approaches for nursing leaders and nursing managers is presented. A well-developed explanation of how the roles and approaches relate to the selected issue, and how they would promote patient safety and quality care, is provided. Rationale using theories, principles, skills, and nursing manager or nursing leader roles is used. The explanation demonstrates insight into exercising the roles of professional nursing leadership and management in the promotion of patient safety and quality
D. A detailed discussion on what additional aspects managers and leaders would need to initiate to ensure professionalism throughout diverse health care settings while addressing the selected issue is presented. The aspects presented clearly continue to address the selected issue and relate to a diverse health care setting. The items proposed in the discussion support the exemplification of professionalism in diverse health care settings.
E. The characteristics of the identified leadership style are clearly described. A detailed explanation of why this style could be successful in this setting is presented. Strong rationale is provided for support.
F. Thesis is comprehensive and contains the essence of the paper. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear.
G. Clear and convincing argument presents a persuasive claim in a distinctive and compelling manner. All sources are authoritative.
H. Writer is clearly in command of standard, written, academic English.
I. All format elements are correct.
K. Sources are completely and correctly documented, as appropriate to assignment and style, and format is free of error.