Assignment: Dealing Effectively and Ethically with Angry Customers
Based on your practice with ethical approaches in the Learning Activity and the previously practiced CSR skills, address this customer service interaction. You are joining a situation in progress…
Read the Scenario: Customer at 7:45 a.m. in Groton Connecticut Airport:
“I need some help here… (her voice getting louder as her anger escalates). I had a reservation on your 9:00 a.m. flight for me and my two children. How can you say you have no record of these reservations when I was sent an emailed confirmation? I don’t live here and we have to be back home by tonight and we are going to miss our connecting flight in Boulder, (Colorado) to Bend, Oregon!”
CSR at the Groton Airport: “You need to calm down there ma’am! I checked all the reservations for this flight and there are no seats left… guess it was overbooked. I checked the next one and the same thing…no seats available. There is really nothing I can do, sorry; you can try looking into other airlines to find another way to get there though. Sorry but there are a lot of customers behind you and they need to get on their flights. So could you go over to the other airline counters please?”
Then address the checklist items.
Checklist (in a 2 page APA formatted paper, please address the following. Be sure to add an additional title and reference page):
- Based on your CSR skills checklist and your Reading concerning listening skills, point out the problems with the CSR’s interaction with the customer.
- After reviewing and practicing with the ethical approaches in the Learning Activities, which ethical approach did the CSR take? What ethical approach do you think the CSR should have taken based on the CSR skills you have practiced? Explain.
- How might a changed ethical approach have affected a different outcome than what transpired?
- Based on your Reading in Chapter 5, and the ethical approach you chose, what could the CSR have done to resolve this situation? What options for resolution of the problem might there be? Explain your resolution in detail.
Respond in a minimum of a 2-page paper (500 words minimum) in APA format and citation style responding to all of the checklist items in a thorough manner. Submit your completed Assignment to the Dropbox before the end of the unit.
- APA requirements:
- Title page
- 12 pt. font – Times New Roman
- Reference page
Common Citations in APA
Disclaimer: This exercise may include actual companies and brand names solely for instructional purposes; this exercise is not associated with any such actual company or brand name. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners.