It is important for educators to explore and have knowledge of the six developmental periods from childhood to adolescence. Educators should have an understanding of the implications that development has on learning at all ages.
Create a 12-15 slide digital professional development presentation for your teacher peers that includes an introduction to the stages of childhood development and specific, in-depth information about a target stage selected by you that is relevant for your colleagues.
Part 1: Overview
In this section, provide an overview of prenatal to adolescent development stages. Include the age ranges and major milestones of these periods:
- Prenatal (gestational period pre-birth)
- Infancy (0-1 year)
- Toddlerhood (1-2 years)
- Early Childhood (3-8 years)
- Middle Childhood (8-11 years)
- Adolescence (12-18 years)
Part 2: Development Stage
Select one development stage (I would like it to be early childhood development stage) that will be important for the ages you will encounter in your future career. Include the following information on the slides that dive more deeply into your selected stage:
- Identify the age ranges within the stage and the major physical, linguistic, and cognitive milestones (e.g. speaks in complete sentences, understands and follows two- and three-step directions).
- Provide 2-3 examples of inherited/genetic and acquired/learned characteristics that could be present in the selected developmental period (nature versus nurture).
- Describe the learning needs children will have based on the milestones and characteristics of the selected developmental period.
- Provide three research-based strategies that caregivers and/or educators can use to support development at this stage.
Presenter’s notes are required for each content slide. Presentation must include a title slide at the beginning and a reference slide with documentation of resources at the end. The title slide and reference slide do not count in the total number of slides.
The digital presentation should include graphics that are relevant to the content, visually appealing, and use space appropriately.
Support your presentation with 2-3 resources.
Please if any questions contact me for clarification.