Beginning on Monday, January 31st, the following behaviors are prohibited:
Using streaming services of any kind to watch television (or videos) or listen to music
- No Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Roku, Sling, Pandora, etc.
- Exception: You are allowed to use these services if required for coursework at USM.
- Example: Some videos in this course are hosted by YouTube. Watching videos on YouTube is okay if it is required in this (or any other) course.
Using social media of any kind for any purpose
- No Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, MySpace (ha ha), etc.
- Exception: If you receive a critical emergency messagevia social media (e.g., concerning the health of a relative), you may respond.
Using an electronic gaming platform
- No console (e.g., X Box) or computer gaming.
Using your cell phone for anything other than a phone call or text messaging
- No games, using GPS, internet, etc.
- Exception: You are allowed to use your phone to check your USM email.
- Exception: If you receive a critical emergency messagethrough a social media application (e.g., concerning the health of a relative), you may respond.
You will document this “quitting experience” in an addiction journal. Please follow all instructions below:
You will construct a series of journal entries that document your cessationexperiences over a period of fourteenconsecutive days (January 31st – February 13th). The assignment is due before 7:00 PM, Tuesday, February 15th. Each entry must meet the following requirements:
- You must complete one entry per day.
- Entries must be in a narrative format (e.g., use complete sentences and proper grammar/spelling/punctuation).
- Each entry must be at least foursentences in length.