When looking for information about a particular issue, evaluating the sources you find in order to determine their credibility is essential. This assignment asks you apply the critical thinking questions for evaluating sources discussed in Chapter 5 of the webtext AND the “7 Key Points” outlined in the video:
“A Consumer’s Guide to Sourcing in News Reports” from The News Literacy Project website at http://www.thenewsliteracyproject.org/learn-channel/sourcing/
For this assignment, you are asked to write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. Select one of the issues from the ProCon.org website at http://www.procon.org/.
2. Research the Internet to obtain 3 websites that address the issue you selected.
3. Based on your review of the critical thinking questions posed in Chapter 5 and the “7 Key Points” outlined in the video, develop your own list of questions for evaluating the credibility of websites.
4. Apply your list of “critical thinking questions” to evaluate the credibility of each of the 3 websites
5. Indicate whether each of the 3 sites is a credible resource on the issue and explain your rationale.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
· Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
· Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
· Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Identify the informal fallacies, assumptions, and biases involved in manipulative appeals and abuses of language.
· Create written work utilizing the concepts of critical thinking.
· Use technology and information resources to research issues in critical thinking skills and informal logic.
Grading for this assignment will be based on quality, logic / organization, and language and writing skills, using the rubric in the course guide.